Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sunday Market - in Beibei, China

As our time in Beibei, China nears its end, I realize that I have written more about our travels to other places in China than about Beibei itself. I need to rectify that!

One of my favorite things about Beibei is its Sunday market. Early on Sunday, the streets are packed with people from nearby villages. Here you can find the usual fresh fruit vendors and meat vendors, but you'll also find people selling everything else as well - medicines, pets, socks, snacks, etc. You can buy homemade baskets and brooms. You can buy portable wooden toilet seats on legs (very handy for use with your typical eastern toilet). The plants are particularly impressive; you can buy wispy orchids or large, potted trees.



Some of my favorite items for sale are not even products, but services. On the street, you can get an acupuncture treatment. Just sit down on the stool. You can get a haircut. Or, you can get your teeth examined and "new" teeth inserted. (I put new in quotation marks, because almost all the teeth appear to have been pre-owned.)




By noon, most vendors are sold out. (Connie)

No comments: