Sunday, November 30, 2008

Games





Everyone who knows Jim and me knows that we like to play games. Back home, we play bridge weekly. And, for over twenty years, on New Year's Eve we get together with friends and play board games until we fall off our chairs.

Chinese people also love their games. The three that are visible in every Chinese town we have visited are: mah-johnng, rivercards, and this form of "checkers". (I have only seen what we call Chinese checkers - played with marbles - once in four months.)

I have learned to play a simple form of mah-johnng, and have purchased a set of my own tiles. I have not learned to play river cards. The most common game you play with these cards is called "Landlord" which sounds like a game that I hate that Jim likes called "Sargent-Major." I am told the game that looks like checkers is actually more like chess.

Table tennis is still very popular in China (there are public tables in most park areas), but I understand that badminton is taking over as the favorite Chinese game. You will often see at least three generations out playing badminton together.

We also have badminton experts in our group. Lee Moua was a varsity player; you can see her form on the first picture. Amanda Phan is so good that she can play in high heels. And, then, there is Ethan.... (Connie)


No comments: