Sunday, November 9, 2008

Obama Wins!

Watching this election from abroad, I can report that the my corner of the world has great hopes for Obama. We watched the debates together over here - international students from Columbia, Vietnam, China, America, Kyrgyzstan, Bosnia. I asked them first - what did you think? They mentioned the new spirit that Obama brings to the world. They are very hopeful for a change in America's international relations.

And, I will always remember where I was when we heard the election results. I was riding on a bus over the hills of Yunnan Province in China. We had had no news contact, but had asked Chinese friends to telephone us with the news as soon as they heard. Finally, one of our students who is Taiwanese received a call from a study abroad student from Kyrgyzstan who asked to talk to her boyfriend who is from Columbia who then announced to all of us Americans on the bus that Obama had won! A cheer rang out.

What an international telephone relay. What an international cheer I heard! (Connie)

No comments: