Thursday, November 13, 2008

Bai Batiks in Dali China



Also in Yunnan province, we visited Dali on November 7-8. The Bai people are Dali's principal minority group. They are noted for their blue and white batik.

I met this women in old town Dali. She liked me enough to take me to the backyard of her shop. There she showed me the stitching technique used to make the batiks. She also showed off her indigo plants growing there; they provide the blue dye.

When I asked to take her picture, her hair was down and very long. She said, dong yi dong. (Wait a minute.) She wanted to fix her hair.

I wish I would have taken pictures of the whole process! First, she braided her hair. Then, I don't know if you can tell from this picture, but she put on her hat and wrapped the braid around the hat. (Her braid is the black line you can see.) Then, she wrapped several strands of yard around her braid. As you can see, the end result is beautiful. (Connie)

No comments: