Thursday, September 18, 2008

Spitting

Until now, all of my posts have been about what have I enjoyed or found interesting. To add a little balance, I should mention my biggest pet peeve. Before I came I had heard that Chinese people spit a lot. While it doesn’t happen as often as I had imagined it might, it still happens several times a day.

I just enjoyed reading a book entitled, In China with Harpo and Karl, by Sibyl Jones. She lived in China for a year teaching English, and published this book of daily life. She devoted an entire (short) chapter to spitting. Since her description is just too perfect, I quote: “Outside every Chinese window lives a spitter. At six, he hawks the sun up, plants it for me in the street. You can hear him priming like an old pump in the chest or a motor revving till the rust turns juicy, bubbles up and out.”

And, walking down the street, I do hear that “revving” sound often. I glance nervously around, trying to figure out who has the spit wad in his/her mouth and which direction it is about to sail. I haven’t been hit yet, but have had several close calls. Yuk! (Connie)

No comments: