Thursday, September 18, 2008

Grocery Shopping

One of my “goals” for this trip was to experience another culture not simply as a tourist, but as a “resident”. I considered needing to buy groceries as one example of what would be different about this experience.

And, I’ve loved grocery shopping, even though it is a much bigger – or, more frequent – ordeal than at home. Why? For one thing, our refrigerator is tiny, so it can keep only a few items cold. For another, I walk to the grocery store so I am limited to what I can comfortably carry back on a fairly long trek. (I did break down once and take a taxi home which cost a little less than a dollar. I may have to do that again.)

The packaging is all in Chinese so I spend a lot of time just wondering what’s inside. Often when English is added, it makes me smile. The English words always seem to include an over-the-top adjective. So, it’s “delightful bacon” you can buy. Or, “magnificent peanuts.” Sometimes the adjective they use is inadvertently gives the wrong impression. One product calls itself “grotesque”, when I think they meant something like “grand.”

People are always willing to help me, but they usually do so by saying a stream of Chinese over and over, as if I MUST understand it if they repeat it often enough.

I buy familiar foods way too much. I stick with carrots, potatoes, fruits, nuts, breads, rice, and yogurt. I should try what appear to be pickled vegetables, cooked ducks, and over twenty different types of mushrooms. Most items are less expensive than in the States. However, one type of mushroom was priced at 800 yuan, or over $100. I have no idea what it is or used for, but I won’t be buying any soon. (Connie)

No comments: