Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Mei You Cafe


I smile at my own misunderstandings that have arisen during this trip due to translations between English and Chinese. As one example, there is a place in Yuangshou called the Mei You Cafe. "How nice!" I thought. "They're trying to say this is a cafe for "me and you." But then, I saw the signs hanging out front-
Warm Beer! Lousy Food! Rip-Offs! Bad Service!
My image of the place changed immediately. Who would want to go there?

It was only after I started my Chinese class that I learned that "mei you" in Chinese means "to not have." So this restaurant was using an intentional play on words - saying that they did NOT have warm beer, lousy food, rip-offs, nor bad service. (Only I didn't get it.)

Now I wonder what was really meant by this sign that I saw outside a hotel. What am I misunderstanding re: "chance amorous?" (Connie)

No comments: