Sunday, October 12, 2008

Shampoo and a Haircut - Six Bits

Jim and I are getting used to extremely low prices. Yesterday I got my first haircut in country. She did a nice job - and it cost me 8 yuan, or about $1.25 US. Jim had his beard trimmed for 3 yuan. (Now I know what it's like to sing, "A shave and a haircut, six bits.")

Most of the St. John's/ St. Ben's students don't convert yuan into dollars anymore when considering prices. They think of yuan as dollars and get upset if they have to pay more than 10 yuan for lunch or dinner (about $1.50). Last week, Jim and I went out with six students for supper. The entire, very good meal cost us 91 yuan, or about $13 for the eight of us, and, no one went home hungry.

The best "bargain" in Beibei is my massage place. I have gone for a massage twice; each time he has charged 25 yuan for a 60 minute massage. He really practices acupressure - and he seems to know just where you hurt. The first time he spent the majority of the time on my neck and right shoulder which is where I carry my stress. On Saturday, Jim and I had walked for 4 hours before I arrived, and he spent the majority of time on my shins, feet, and toes. How does he know??

Jim had a massage while on our trip to Sichuan province a week ago. It was fine although it cost twice as much. Imagine paying $7 US for a one hour massage (but I guess we all splurge once in a while). Our sense of prices are certainly getting distorted! (Connie)

No comments: