Thursday, October 23, 2008

Mid-Term Exams in China






Chinese teachers are used to giving only final exams. In our case, Jim has asked each of the teachers to use additional assessments, so that a student's grade is not dependent on only one grading point. In all cases, the teachers have been responsive. So, this past week has been "mid-term" exam week. We've had exams in Chinese; an essay due in Chinese Literature (I'm not proud of mine); and a wushu mid-term exam.

In calligraphy, I smiled when our mild-mannered teacher sweetly told one student, "This is not beautiful." My smile disappeared when he told me, "You should go back to drawing lines."

In wushu, the students were to demonstrate a tai-chi series of moves, and up to three animal routines. They were impressively in sync, as can be seen from these photos. Where am I, you ask. I didn't participate as I didn't want to bring down the grade of any group I was in; there are some moves that I physically cannot do. (Or, maybe I was demonstrating the animal of "chicken"!) (Connie)

No comments: